About the Holiday
Every kid is incredible! This special day, established by Camp Fire USA in 1997, gives adults an opportunity to tell the kids in their life how much they mean to them. Whether you write your special young person a letter or just sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk, your words of encouragement and appreciation will make a difference.
The Amazing Idea of You
Written by Charlotte Sullivan Wild | Illustrated by Mary Lundquist
Have you ever thought that a tiny apple seed holds “the idea of a tree?” And that if planted it “might take root / sprout / shoot up / into the blue?” Beginnings always contain the promise of a future filled with the excitement of more, the way “the caterpillar / creeping through grass / carries inside / the color and flutter / of a butterfly.”
You began that way too. First as an idea and then, much loved and anticipated, as a promise growing and changing until you were born. “And look at you! What ideas are hidden inside of you?” Will you be musical? Love dancing or painting or adventure? Or perhaps you will create something brand new “for the whole world to share.”
You know what to do! Plant your ideas and tend them carefully as they grow and develop while you experience life with its sunny days and rainy days, warm days and cold. When you grow up, you’ll be amazed at what you’ve accomplished and the fruit your ideas have borne—for yourself and the world.
Charlotte Sullivan Wild inspires children to find the promise that’s waiting inside each of them as they experiment with life and discover their special talents. Her cheerful, lyrical text uses examples kids will readily recognize. The lilting rhythm will mesmerize young readers as they take the message to heart. As they go out into the world, they’ll remember and reflect when they see an apple, a butterfly, a bird, and all the promise of nature.
Mary Lundquist’s tranquil and bucolic illustrations give a little girl free reign to play, strum, run, learn, and think as she grows from a curious baby and toddler to a creative and motivated teen to a mother herself who shares the abundant fruits of her labor with friends, neighbors, and others while continuing the natural cycle and her natural talents with her own children. Soft greens highlighted with vivid apple reds, rain-slicker yellows, and spring-sky blues make this a perfect book for quiet, contemplative story times.
An inspiring story that adults will love sharing with the children in their life, The Amazing Idea of You makes a wonderful gift for new babies, teachers, and anyone with a young child. The book is sure to be a favorite addition to home, classroom, and public library bookshelves.
Ages 3 – 6
Bloomsbury Children’s Books, 2019 | ISBN 978-1681191836
Discover more about Charlotte Sullivan Wild and her books on her website.
To learn more about Mary Lundquist, her books, and her art, visit her website.
Absolutely Incredible Kid Day Activity
Incredible You! Measuring Stick Craft
Looking for a unique way to measure your growth? This nature-inspired measuring stick can keep track of small and big growth spurts. You can even use it to record an idea or two as you age!
- 50-inch wooden stake, available at craft stores
- Dark and light green foam sheets or 45 – 50 small wooden leaves, available at craft stores
- Green paint, light and dark
- Black marker
- Paint brush
- Strong glue
- Flower pot
- Oasis or clay
- Paint the wooden stake with the green paint, let dry
- With the ruler mark the stake in 1-inch increments along the edge of the stake
How to Make the Leaves
- If using wooden leaves, paint half light green and half dark green
- If using foam, cut 1 3/4-inch-long tear-drop shaped leaves (half from light green foam, half from dark green foam), 45 – 50 or as needed
- Cut two larger leaves, one from each color to decorate the top of the stake
- Draw a line down the center of each leaf
For Measuring Growth: Write the inch 1 through 45 or higher on each leaf with the black marker, alternating colors
For Recording Ideas: You can write favorite ideas, hobbies, or hopes on the leaves too and measure your growth that way!
How to Attach the Leaves
- Glue the leaves to the stake, attaching the odd-numbered inch leaves to the left side of the stake and the even-numbered leaves to the right side of the stake.
- Attach half of the leaf to the stake, letting the tip stick out from the side
- Glue the two larger leaves to the top of the stake
How to Store Your Yardstick
- Put the oasis or clay in the flower pot
- Stick the stake into the flower pot to keep it handy
You can find The Amazing Idea of You at these booksellers
Picture Book Review