About the Holiday
Cuddling up is great any time of the year, but in the cold, snowy weather of winter it’s especially nice! Little ones love to cuddle! It makes them feel safe and warm and loved! To celebrate today’s holiday spend a little extra time cuddling with your child or children. Reading a sweet book together makes snuggle time even better!
Kisses and Cuddles
By little bee books
A little penguin sits at the table with a tall stack of pancakes watching Mom cook up some more on the pot-belly stove. “I love eating pancakes,” the little one says. “And playing with my toys.” After breakfast he loves drumming and making noise, even if Mama isn’t as keen on it. Later on, little penguin gets a steaming cup of hot chocolate, and is lucky enough to see a rainbow in the sky.
Back at home with soft pillows for landing and a green towel cape, little penguin loves “being a superhero. Come on—watch me fly!” After all that excitement, the penguin loves to snuggle in a comfy chair and read a book with lots of toys around. As nighttime comes, penguin settles into bed holding teddy tight. “But what I love the most,” says little penguin, “what ends the day just right…are kisses and cuddles from Mama when we say goodnight.”
The tiniest readers will be delighted with the adorable little penguin and the busy day that ends in the best way possible—with kisses and cuddles. The baby penguin loves all the same things they do, making this little gem an instant favorite. The smoothly flowing rhymes are spirited and straightforward—perfect for capturing a tot’s attention at nap time, bedtime, or story time.
The vivid illustrations have plenty of details for kids to look for and point out, and the joyful little penguin will make them smile and giggle. The final spread of Mama and chick cuddling as they say goodnight will inspire lots of real cuddles after the story ends. Written without pronouns, Kisses and Cuddles is just right for all children.
Ages 1 – 4
little bee books, 2015 | ISBN 978-1499801514
Cuddle Up Day Activity
It’s easy to make a one-of-a-kind sleepy buddy for naptime or any time. With just a few materials and your own creativity, you’ll soon have a new friend to snuggle with!
- 1 8-inch by 11-inch piece of fleece in the color or your choice for the body (or scraps if you have some from an earlier project). A larger piece of fleece can be used to make a larger buddy
- 1 5-inch by 8-inch piece of fleece in the color or your choice for the hair (or scraps if you have some from an earlier project)
- 1 small piece of fleece or other material for a pocket, clothes, or blanket
- Small scraps of fleece or other material for the face
- Fiber Fill
- Thread and sewing needle OR fabric glue
To Make the Body
- Fold the large piece of fleece in half lengthwise and sew along the open side and along the bottom. Alternatively, if using a larger size piece of fleece, fold upward and sew or glue the two sides closed.
- Turn the form inside out
To Make the Hair
- Cut a piece of fleece as wide as your buddy and about 7 – 8 inches long
- Fold the fleece lengthwise
- Insert both ends of the fleece into the opening at the top of the body
- Sew or glue the opening shut, securing the hair
- Cut strips about ¼-inch wide from the top of the hair to close to where the hair is sown into the body
To Make a Pocket or Clothes
- Cut a piece of fleece in the shape of a pocket, shirt, pants, diaper, or blanket
- Sew or glue the pocket or clothes to the buddy
To Make the Face
- Cut eyes, a nose, and a mouth in whatever way you would like your buddy to look. (My buddy is sleeping.)
- Sew or glue the face to the buddy
- Snuggle up!
Picture Book Review