About the Holiday
During this month we take time to make sure our smiles are as bright and healthy as they can be by ensuring that we’re following the latest advice by dental professionals about brushing, diet, and oral health and scheduling dental visits for ourselves and our children. It’s also a great time to celebrate all the things that make us smile. One of which is spending time with our kids. On May 12 families will celebrate Mother’s Day—a holiday that’s guaranteed to bring out smiles all around!
Mom Loves Little Jumbo: Hello I Am Jumbo
By Yasushi Muraki
When young readers open the cover of this sweet board book, a tiny elephant named Jumbo introduces himself and his mom. “Mom is big,” he says. “I am small.” Mom’s size and strength come in handy when he falls, Jumbo explains, and if he’s in trouble, his mom keeps him safe. Jumbo’s mom not only protects him from big dangers like lions but from small bothers like rain.
Every day Jumbo’s mom takes good care of him. She shows him where to find the freshest grass and the most delicious fruit. Jumbo’s mom also remembers other things he loves, like having fun and playing hide-and-seek “She makes me laugh,” he says.
To show Mom how much he loves her, Jumbo picks “the most beautiful flower” for her. And at the end of the day? “At bedtime Mom cuddles me tightly. I like this best of all.” Yes, Jumbo reveals, “My mom loves me. And I love my Mom.”
Yasushi Muraki revels in that deeply felt awe little ones feel for their mom and all the things she does for them in his adorable board book. By using the matriarchal, close-knit structure of elephant families for his story, Muraki reinforces the bond between mother and child, which he simply, but lovingly demonstrates in his rich, textured images. Each page welcomes children with comforting earth tones and actions by Jumbo’s caring mom that even the youngest readers will find meaningful.
Told from Jumbo’s point of view, Muraki’s storytelling incorporates two straightforward sentences on each page. In the first, Jumbo reveals something that his mom does for him, and in the second, he explains how it makes him feel. Jumbo even plays a game with readers midway through the book. When Jumbo picks a flower for his mom, little ones will learn that gestures of love are reciprocal, and the cuddly ending will lead to lots of snuggling between mom and child.
A perfect book for little ones to share with their mom on Mothers’ Day or any day, as a new baby present, or baby shower gift, Mom Loves Little Jumbo: Hello I Am Jumbo would be a favorite on home bookshelves and to find at public libraries.
Ages 3 – 5
minedition, 2019 | ISBN 978-9888341788
Discover more about Yasushi Muraki, his books, and his art on his website.
National Smile Month Activity
Spool Elephant and Baby
Who wouldn’t like a tiny elephant for a pet?! With this easy craft you can make your own little pal to keep you company.
- Printable Elephant Ears Template
- 1¾-inch wooden spool with center hole, available at craft stores
- ¾ -inch wooden spool with center hole, available at craft stores
- Gray craft paint
- Chunky gray yarn
- Gray felt, 1 8 ½ x 11 piece
- Paint brush
- Black fine-tip marker
- Hot glue gun or fabric glue
To Make the Ears
- Print the Elephant Ears Template
- Trace and cut out the large and small ears
To Make the Body
- Paint the spools with the gray paint, let dry
- Glue the tab on the ears to the body of the spool to secure, allowing the ears to stick out on either side of one flat end of the spools
- Wind the gray yarn back and forth around the spool, creating several layers of thickness
- When the body is as thick as you desire, cut the end and secure with glue
To Make the Trunk
- Cut a 2 x 4-inch piece of felt for the large elephant; 1/2 x 2-inch piece for small elephant
- Roll tightly and secure with glue
- Feed one end of the roll into the hole in the middle of the spool
- Cut to desired length
To Make the Tail
- Twist a small length of yarn and push it into the hole on the back of the spool
- With the marker draw eyes and a mouth on the face
You can find Mom Loves Little Jumbo at these booksellers
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-a-Million | IndieBound
Picture Book Review