About the Holiday
As the cooler days of December turn into the colder days of January, Cuddle Up Day reminds us that snuggling up with someone you love warms us and warms our hearts. Children especially love the comfort and security that close hugs bring. Today, get your comfy clothes on, pour a mug of hot chocolate or tea, and cuddle up together with a good book!
You Belong to Me
By Mamoru Suzuki
The emotions of parents and other caregivers of children escape from the heart on the very first page of this gentle, spoken lullaby: “I love you so much.” On the second page, listeners discover why: “You are my favorite person in the whole world.” As the pages flow, the reader continues to reassure the child of the constancy of their love. Devotion is shown when the adult spends time with their child, watches out for them, and takes them to activities, play dates, and even, perhaps on flights of fancy.
Through the words on the pages, the reader encourages the child to “come to me whenever you are lonely” or “whenever you can’t sleep” and promises that “I’ll hug you when you are sad.” Comfort comes in many forms—from drying tears to stroking hair—and from the many people who love the child.
In fact, all of the people in the child’s life agree that “we all love you” and that they will be there “whenever,” “wherever,” and “however” the child needs them. But the deepest love of all is found in the heart of the reader who confirms “I love you most of all, because…you belong to me.”
Mamoru Suzuki’s sweet hug of a book gives parents and caregivers the tender words that overflow in their hearts coupled with endearing illustrations of various animals nuzzling, snuggling, protecting, and comforting a small child. The mellow colors and chiffon texture of the images are at once soothing and stirring, wonderfully mirroring the mixture of emotions that make love for a child so profound.
You Belong to Me is a cuddle to keep on your child’s bookshelf for those times when you want to tell them how much you love them.
Ages birth – 5
Museyon, 2016 | ISBN 978-1940842127
Cuddle Up Day Activity
Snuggle Buddy Craft
It’s easy to make your own snuggle buddy with a few pieces of fleece, some fiber fill, and a needle and thread or fabric glue. The great thing about creating your own friend is you can personalize your pal anyway you want!
- 1 8-inch by 11-inch piece of fleece in the color or your choice for the body (or scraps if you have some from an earlier project). A larger piece of fleece can be used to make a larger buddy
- 1 5-inch by 8-inch piece of fleece in the color or your choice for the hair (or scraps if you have some from an earlier project)
- 1 small piece of fleece or other material for a pocket, clothes, or blanket
- Small scraps of fleece or other material for the face
- Fiber Fill
- Thread and sewing needle OR fabric glue
To Make the Body
- Fold the large piece of fleece in half lengthwise and sew along the open side and along the bottom. Alternatively, if using a larger size piece of fleece, fold upward and sew or glue the two sides closed.
- Turn the form inside out
To Make the Hair
- Cut a piece of fleece as wide as your buddy and about 7 – 8 inches long
- Fold the fleece lengthwise
- Insert both ends of the fleece into the opening at the top of the body
- Sew or glue the opening shut, securing the hair
- Cut strips about ¼-inch wide from the top of the hair to close to where the hair is sown into the body
To Make a Pocket or Clothes
- Cut a piece of fleece in the shape of a pocket, shirt, pants, diaper, or blanket
- Sew or glue the pocket or clothes to the buddy
To Make the Face
- Cut eyes, a nose, and a mouth in whatever way you would like your buddy to look. (My buddy is sleeping.)
- Sew or glue the face to the buddy
- Snuggle up!
Picture Book Review