There’s nothing better than sipping hot chocolate with a friend or family member during the cold months ahead! Here’s an easy way to make a special gift for someone you love!
- Mason jar, canning jar, or any recycled jar from home
- Canister of your favorite hot chocolate mix
- Bag of mini marshmallows
- Bag of chocolate chips
- Measuring cup
- Piece of cloth
- Shoelace, string, elastic, or ribbon
- Paper or card stock to make a Friendship Tag
- Hole punch
Directions for Filling the Jar
- Wash and completely dry the jar
- Drop a handful of mini marshmallows into the bottom of the jar. With the spoon push some of the marshmallows tight against the glass so they will show up when you add the hot chocolate mix.
- Measure 1/3 cup of hot chocolate mix and sprinkle it on top of the marshmallows. With the spoon gently spread the mix over the marshmallows.
- If you wish, add a layer of chocolate chips.
- Continue layering marshmallows and hot chocolate mix until you get to the top of the jar.
- At the top add another layer of chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Put the lid on the jar and secure it tightly.
Directions for Decorating the Lid and Adding the Tag
- Cut a 6-inch circle from the cloth. To make the edges decorative, use a pinking sheers or other specialty scissor.
- Cover the lid of the jar with the cloth and secure with an elastic or rubber band.
- Tie the string, shoelace, or other tie around the rim of the lid.
- If using a Mason jar, place the cloth between the disk and the screw top
- Create a Friendship Tag and add your name and the name of your friend.
- Use a hole punch to make a hole in the Friendship Tag, slide it onto the tie, and knot it.
Directions for Making the Hot Chocolate
- With a spoon measure 1/2 cup of the hot chocolate, marshmallow, chocolate chip mix into a mug
- Fill the mug with boiling water, hot milk, or a combination of both