Make a Stellar Spool Puppy
No matter where you go and whether you have a real dog or not, you can take this little guy along with you. And just as you would pick out your favorite from an animal shelter, you can make this puppy look any way you’d like!
Related Book: Douglas, You Need Glasses by Ged Adamson
- Printable ears and nose template
- 2-inch round wooden spool, available at craft stores
- 1 skein of yarn in the color you choose. Yardage needed will depend on the thickness of the yarn.
- Craft paint
- Paint brush
- Fabric or strong glue
- Thin gauge wire
- Dowel or pencil to wrap wire around to make glasses
- Paint the dowel the color you want your dog to be, let dry
- Trace the ears on the felt and cut out (or draw your own ears)
- Trace the nose on the felt and cut out
- When the spool is dry glue the ears to the body of the spool, allowing the ears to stick up from the top of the spool
- Wind the yarn around the spool back and forth until the dog’s body is the size you’d like
- Glue the yarn in place with fabric or strong glue
To make the face
- Glue the nose over the hole on one end of the spool
- Draw the mouth and tongue under the nose with a marker
- You will draw the eyes on after the glasses are in place
To make the glasses
- Wind the wire around a ½-inch dowel, thick pencil, or rounded handle to make two circles.
- Leave about two inches on either side of the circles for the ear pieces of the glasses.
- Adjust the size of the circles to fit the spool as glasses.
- Put the glasses on the face of the spool, tucking the ear pieces into the yarn on each side
- Draw eyes in the center of the glasses
To make the tail
- Cut a small square of felt and stuff the edges into the hole on the other end of the spool
- You can make the tail as long as you like
Picture Book Review