Spicy Cool Penguins
Don’t throw away those empty spice bottles—instead make these cute penguins with their colorful hats who are just waiting to play!
Related Book: Little Penguins written by Cynthia Rylant | Illustrated by Christian Robinson
- Empty glass or plastic spice bottle with cap
- Black paint
- White paint OR White fleece or felt
- Black paper
- Yellow foam or heavy paper
- Googly eyes
- Styrofoam ball (optional)
- Paint brush
- Paint the inside of the glass or plastic bottle with the black paint, let dry
- From the white fleece, cut an oval for the penguin’s belly and glue it on. Alternatively, paint a white oval on the jar to make a belly. Fleece may be a better option for younger children, as the paint can scratch off glass and plastic surfaces.
- Glue googly eyes near the top of the jar, but below the cap
- Cut a triangle of yellow foam or paper for the beak and glue it on
- Cut two tear shapes for the wings from the black paper. Glue the top of the shape to the body of the penguin, overlapping the belly a little. Fold the tips up
- Give your penguins Styrofoam ball snowballs to play with!
Picture Book Review